Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Beast of the Bridge

When is a bridge not just a bridge? When it's the home to a spectral, glowing-eyed, ape-man, that's when!

This photo shows the old Bridge 39 on England's equally-old Shropshire Union Canal, where, since at least 1879, sightings of a British Bigfoot-type entity have been reported.

I'll be the first to admit - given that I grew up only a very short drive from the lair of the beast - I have somewhat of an obsession with the Man-Monkey (as it's known locally), as well as with the sightings, theories, and folklore surrounding the whole affair - as I noted in my book on the matter, Man-Monkey: In Search of the British Bigfoot.

Whenever I'm back in the UK, I always take a drive out to the old bridge, and sometimes hang out their overnight, patiently waiting for something monstrous and diabolical to come screaming out of the thick trees that surround this particularly unsettling stretch of the canal...

No comments:

Post a Comment